Burness is currently hiring:
Job Description: Strategist for BurnessDigital
BurnessDigital, the digital media team at Burness Communications, seeks a creative digital specialist to join our growing team. As a mid-level strategist for BurnessDigital, you will be charged with creating innovative digital strategies to advance the social change efforts of mission-driven foundations, think tanks, researchers, policy experts, and nonprofit groups worldwide.
Lead digital projects for our nonprofit partners, including:
- Developing creative social media presences and campaigns.
- Leading the design and development of websites, microsites, blogs, email newsletters and more.
- Planning and executing promotion campaigns around complex research.
- Connecting directly with journalists and bloggers via email, phone, and social media.
- Producing audio, video, and written content that is clear, concise and persuasive.
- Training and advising partners to be successful online advocates.
Strengthen the digital skills of the Burness team and expand our digital capabilities, including:
- Advising and training staff on social media tools and strategies.
- Working with BurnessDigital team to manage Burness’ own online social media presences and website.
- Exploring new technologies and approaches to expand our capabilities.
Possess digital skills and experience, including:
- Two or more years of work experience in digital strategy, campaigns and advocacy, communications, or public relations.
- Advanced understanding of the social media landscape and experience with developing strategies for all major social networks (Twitter, Facebook, others).
- Proven track record of leading projects and generating measurable results.
- Familiarity with web design/development process and major CMS and blogging tools such as Drupal and Wordpress.
- Fluency with HTML/CSS, Adobe CS suite, Google Analytics, mobile apps/web apps, and consumer-level web and social media analytics tools.
- Videography and editing (Final Cut Pro a plus) experience.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES ARE:
- Capable of juggling multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining attention to detail and a sense of humor.
- Organized with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Passionate about addressing critical issues in health, science, and public policy alongside leading non-profits in the US and abroad.
- Dedicated to creating social change and impact through innovative online action.
BurnessDigital is the digital division of Burness Communications, a mission-driven firm advancing social change for nonprofits worldwide. Burness offers excellent benefits, competitive salary and a friendly, collegial working environment. Candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Miles Sedgwick at email@example.com.
Job Description: Senior Associate for Public Health
Burness Communications, a Bethesda-based public relations firm working primarily with foundations and other non-profit organizations, seeks a Senior Associate to join its Public Health team. The primary focus of this work will be designing and executing media relations and policy strategies focused on childhood obesity prevention and issues related to child nutrition, physical activity, healthy food access and food marketing. The work will also include writing two-page policy briefs related to public health issues.
The ideal candidate will have exceptional knowledge and experience in: writing; proactive media (including digital) relations; policy communications; teamwork; and building and maintaining relationships with policymakers and stakeholders. Capitol Hill experience as press secretary or Communications Director preferred.
Provide project support to the firm’s Public Health team by:
- Working with the team to develop proactive, aggressive media outreach strategy to capitalize on the “issues of the day” and drive a movement around reversing the childhood obesity epidemic.
- Writing and editing op-eds, fact sheets, short policy briefs, blog posts and other short form products.
- Leveraging media relations work to drive policy by placing stories in key states and districts and working with editorial boards to write on critical issues.
- Creating and maintaining solid relationships with press contacts covering key issues of concern to our clients and pitching reporters as part of ongoing promotion efforts. And collaborating with teammates who will do the same.
- Working with the policy communications team to implement outreach plans at federal, state and local level.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES POSSESS:
- A passion for children’s health and a strong background in health policy
- 8 or more years of work experience in communications or public relations, with Capitol Hill experience strongly preferred
- Evidence that they can develop relationships with key journalists
- Strong understanding of the legislative and policy process
- The ability to write persuasively, edit and deliver on a quick turnaround
- The ability to synthesize and translate complicated material into clear and simple language
- The ability to work independently and in teams
- Creativity and imagination in thinking about proactive media and policy communications opportunities
- Experience in using social media to help drive awareness and story uptake
Candidates should also have a minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience. Please e-mail cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of: Senior Associate, Public Health. No phone calls, please.