Burness is currently hiring:
Job Description: Developer for BurnessDigital
Burness Communications seeks a creative developer to join our growing digital team. As a developer for BurnessDigital, you will be an integral part of a team that creates powerful websites, interactives, and online campaigns to advance the social change efforts of mission-driven foundations, think tanks, researchers, policy experts, and nonprofit groups worldwide.
Lead all digital development projects for our nonprofit partners, including:
- Coordinating with our designers and project managers to develop CMS-driven websites, interactive visualizations, campaign microsites, and e-mail templates.
- Working with our clients and team to identify, troubleshoot, and resolve website issues.
- Advising and supporting our partners on website matters such as platform choices, implementation timelines, and technical specifications.
- Growing the skills and capacity of the Burness team on CMS maintenance and emerging web technologies.
Possess digital skills and experience, including:
- 3-4+ years of work experience in website or online application development.
- Demonstrated experience in web design/development on major CMS platforms including WordPress and Drupal.
- Technical fluency in HTML/CSS and modern web standards.
- Clear understanding of information architecture process and prototyping with Bootstrap/Foundation.
- Comfortable working with relational databases.
- Experience integrating digital tools including major APIs and social media.
- Proven track record of leading projects and generating measurable results.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES ARE:
- Creative problem solvers who love tackling complex challenges with a team – only collaborative, open-minded, and can-do people need apply.
- Capable of juggling multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining attention to detail and a sense of humor.
- Organized with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Self-starters with an entrepreneurial spirit – you will be leading the growth and expansion of Burness’ development capabilities.
- Passionate about addressing critical issues in health, science, and public policy alongside leading nonprofits in the US and abroad.
- Dedicated to creating social change and impact through innovative online action.
BurnessDigital is the digital division of Burness Communications, a mission-driven firm advancing social change for nonprofits worldwide. Burness offers excellent benefits, competitive salary and a friendly, collegial working environment. This position is based at our office (a short walk from the Red Line) in Bethesda, MD. Candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and work samples or portfolio to Eric Stroo at email@example.com
Job Description: Benefits Coordinator
Burness Communications, a Bethesda-based public relations firm committed to advancing social change worldwide, seeks a part-time Benefits Coordinator to join its Administrative team. This is a 16 -24 hours a week position. The ideal candidate will have exceptional knowledge and experience in: employee benefits and organizational planning and systems.
Provide direct support to the Senior Vice-President of Human Resources and Director of Operations by:
- Working with the team to develop effective organizational systems
- Entering employee data into a benefits database
- Assisting with creating and implementing health and safety policies
- Setting up and maintaining an alert system for employee benefit eligibility
- Coordinating and managing logistics for companywide retreats and events
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES POSSESS:
- 5 or more years of work experience in human resources and organization planning
- The ability to work independently
- Creativity and imagination in thinking about short and long-term organizational planning and strategy
- Experience in using social media for recruitment
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of: Benefits Coordinator. No phone calls, please.
Job Description: Communications Coordinator for Burness Global
Burness Communications, rated by Washingtonian Magazine as one of the 50 Best Places to Work in the Washington, DC metropolitan area, is seeking a communications coordinator to support the global team. Burness Communications is a public relations firm serving nonprofit organizations around the world. The global team represents the work of nonprofits in the areas of global health and international environment and agricultural issues.
Education, experience, technical skills and competencies:
- BA/BS (Communications, International Relations or International Development preferred)
- At least two years of work experience (in journalism or nonprofits preferred)
- Fluency in at least one foreign language (Spanish strongly preferred)
- Strong MS Office and research skills
- Experience working in areas of global health, forestry, or agriculture (preferred)
- Travel experience (in Latin America or Africa preferred)
- Event coordination experience (preferred)
Personal attributes and competencies
- Self-motivated, outgoing, optimistic and thrives in a team environment
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Possesses desire to learn and excel in a high-performance, fast-paced environment
- Able to multi-task with confidence and meet multiple deadlines in multiple time zones
- Researching relevant topics on global health, environment, and international agricultural issues.
- Supporting team members in researching, writing, fact-checking and editing proposals and media outreach materials.
- Supporting team members in planning events and trainings around the world.
- Media monitoring.
- Tracking down, organizing and preparing media articles for presentation in client reports.
- Compiling reports of the media coverage generated as a result of press outreach efforts.
- Providing efficient and accurate note-taking and writing accurate summaries under deadline.
- Coordinating and conducting mailings, electronic distributions of press releases, media advisories and other written materials.
- Developing and maintaining media list as well as media lists for individual projects. This includes developing lists from scratch, updating them on an ongoing basis in our team’s database and creating reports. This is a detail-oriented project that is critical to the success of the team.
- Providing administrative support to the team as necessary.
- Keeping track of team’s internal filing system, making sure to obtain and keep updated final documents for each project, including press releases, proposals, and final reports.
- Depending on progress in managing all of the above activities and grasp of substantive issues being promoted by organizations in their media outreach efforts, the job could also include pitching of stores to media outlets.
Burness offers excellent benefits, competitive salary and a friendly, collegial working environment.
Send resumes and a cover letter (one page max) to Katie Fogleman at email@example.com by April 12th.
Job Description: Senior Designer
Burness Communications is seeking a senior graphic designer to join our team. The designer will work with the art director and Burness staff to produce print and marketing materials, websites, and information graphics. As a designer for Burness Communications, the successful candidate would have the opportunity to design for well-known, mission-driven foundations, think tanks, researchers, policy experts, and nonprofit groups worldwide.
The designer’s duties will include:
- Designing brochures, fact sheets, reports and other publications.
- Developing frontend website designs and email templates.
- Creating charts, graphs, and information graphics from data.
- Designing visually appealing slideshow presentations using PowerPoint and Prezi.
- Developing graphics and animations for video and social media.
- Expert knowledge of Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop.
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Experience with the Office suite—Word, Excel, and PowerPoint—and the use of themes and templates.
- Illustration skills are a big plus.
- Experience with digital and offset printing methods.
- B.A. or equivalent in graphic design with at least 5 years of experience.
Successful candidates are:
- Capable of juggling multiple projects while maintaining attention to detail.
- Able to use time-management skills to prioritize multiple projects, making sure all deadlines are met.
- Organized with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Passionate about addressing critical issues in health, science, and public policy alongside leading non-profits in the US and abroad.
- Dedicated to creating social change and impact through innovative design approaches.
Burness Communications is a mission-driven firm advancing social change for nonprofits worldwide. Burness offers excellent benefits, competitive salary and a friendly, collegial working environment. Candidates should send a resume and cover letter along with their portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.